commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [logging][PROPOSAL] a solution to incompatibility between log4j versions
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 18:27:26 GMT

Hi,

>That said, it is an interesting challenge -- aligning the projects is
like
>aligning the stars -- and good inter-project communications (tough in
OSS)
>are critical to this. I don't know if the Java language allowed the
>class/methods to be marked as deprecated, 'cos I'm sure compiler
warning
>would have moved things along.

I like the stars analogy ;)  I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of
the paragraph: Java does allow methods and classes to be deprecated,
log4j has marked them as deprecated, and Java does generate compile-time
warnings by default if your classes use deprecated code (and javac gives
you full details if you add -deprecation to its commands).  People using
Priority or Category directly have been getting deprecation warnings
every time they compile their code for years now.

Yoav