commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject RE: [math] Dependencies WAS: Design review pre 1.0
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 18:28:08 GMT
I used DynaBeans to enable addValue as well.  I am +1 to dropping from 1.0 so we can remove
this dependency.  Not a bad idea to eventually produce an extensions, optional or examples
jar as well.

Frequency is kind of basic, but it could in theory also fit into this category, since it is
the only user of [collections].  I am looking at how to code around that dependency, but this
is another thing to think about.

Phil

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Mark R. Diggory [mailto:mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu]
	Sent: Mon 5/17/2004 9:57 AM
	To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
	Subject: Re: [math] Dependencies WAS: Design review pre 1.0

	Yes, I had placed it into test a while back which reduced it to a build
	time dependency as opposed to a runtime dependency. Originally, I was
	attempting to isolate this as an example as opposed to a Class which
	users would utilize, so I was working hard to remove it from the
	distribution jar.

	All beanutils is benefiting us with is a "NumberTransformer" that was
	easy to write. This could/should be made somewhat plugable. Right now
	BeanUtils usage is in an anonymous NumberTransformer innerclass within
	BeanListUnivariateImpl:

	new NumberTransformer() {

	            /**
	             * @see
	org.apache.commons.math.util.NumberTransformer#transform(java.lang.Object)
	             */
	            public double transform(final Object o) throws MathException {
	                try {
	                    return (
	                        (Number) PropertyUtils.getProperty(
	                            o,
	                            getPropertyName()))
	                        .doubleValue();
	                } catch (IllegalAccessException e) {
	                    throw new MathException(
	                        "IllegalAccessException in Transformation: "
	                            + e.getMessage(),
	                        e);
	                } catch (InvocationTargetException e) {
	                    throw new MathException(
	                        "InvocationTargetException in Transformation: "
	                            + e.getMessage(),
	                        e);
	                } catch (NoSuchMethodException e) {
	                    throw new MathException(
	                        "oSuchMethodException in Transformation: "
	                            + e.getMessage(),
	                        e);
	                }
	            }