commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [beanutils] PROPOSAL: eliminate core dependency on collections
Date Sat, 08 May 2004 09:45:46 GMT
On 7 May 2004, at 21:06, Eric Pugh wrote:

<snip>

> Unless users are working in an environment where minimizing the total
> number
> of jars is crucial, I don't think cloning a dependency is worth it to
> save a
> jar.
>
> Lastly, it seems like you end up removing a dependency on Collections,
> and
> add a dependency on BeanCollections..  And now, as a user, I have to
> make a
> decision on whether to include BeanCollections or not..   Which means
> I need
> to learn more about BeanUtils to make an intelligent decision, which
> raises
> the bar to use.

hi eric

i think that their are now two distinct target users for commons:

1 builders of applications
2 creators of libraries, frameworks and containers

we need to satisfy both sets of users.

i take your point but i think that it only applies to those in the
first category.

those developers in the second category have been telling us that they
need more finely grained and focussed libraries with fewer
dependencies. (some of this has been positive - thanks dain :) - some
in the form of negative 'jakarta commons is crap'.)

this has come to a head recently with the existence of two incompatible
releases of commons collections. unless we act, developers in the
second category will soon need to choose between dropping (or
repackaging) their commons dependencies or telling their users that
they cannot use the latest (and very much greatest ;)
commons-collections.

you're right that users in the first category need a simple install and
prefer to get everything (rather than bits and pieces). we can probably
distribute three jars:

  beanutils-all
  beanutils-core
  beanutils-bean-collections

together with a README advising people which ones to grab.

- robert