commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] Inheritance version 2
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 10:52:37 GMT

On 30 May 2004, at 06:14, Inger, Matthew wrote:

> The other question is, is this the right approach?

betwixt is the sort of component where users appreciate different ways
to achieve the same goals. i've been often surprised by innovative uses
such features have been put to.

so, the question i usually ask myself is: is this a reasonable
approach? if so, then that's usually good enough for me.

> It is an XML only solution, and would require the
> user to do this manually if building their mapping
> in code (does anyone ever do this?),

yes. there are some very powerful tricks you can do by rolling your own
descriptors.

> or when just
> introspecting without a mapping of any sort.
> Perhaps a utility class to do the inheritance,
> along with another method on the introspector
> to allow them to introspect and include inheritance
> might be in order.  I will explore this.

it usually works out that you want this as well. in the end, though, it
usually ends up that you want a pluggable strategy on introspector so
that users can programmatically choose which classes should inherit. so
it's probably best going straight for that. it's best to implementation
the logical strategy interface as an abstract class (since methods can
then be added without breaking backwards compatibility.

- robert