commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [logging][PROPOSAL] a solution to incompatibility between log4j versions
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 17:50:18 GMT
At 07:28 PM 5/19/2004, you wrote:
> > What about the option of having commons-logging 1.0.3 and earlier work
> > with log4j 1.2.8 and earlier, and commons-logging 1.0.4 and later do
> > whatever it feels like (since that's now possible with Ceki's recent
> > changes)?
>
> > I'm not gung ho about bending over backwards in order to not
> > remove an API that's been deprecated for two years: that's the purpose
> > of deprecation, to give people a warning that the deprecated item will
> > be gone.
>
>Sure, but the opportunity of a smooth transition has been lost. Deprecation
>w/ an overlapping strategy (allowing both to operate) so folks can make the
>transition semi-transparently & not impose Jar-Hell on users/users
>environments, now that is a beautiful thing.
>
>BTW: This isn't just C-L.
>BTW: I also wish folks had updated long ago, we'd have had a much smaller
>transition, be having discovered this sooner.

Keep in mind that

1) log4j 1.3 is nowhere near an official release date

2) As of May 19th, approx. 12:00 GMT, the 3 projects directly
suffering from the log4j changes, namely C-L, Excalibur, Velocity (**),
have been provided with solutions ensuring smooth transition from
1.2.x to future 1.3.

3) Did I mention that 1.3 is nowhere near official release?

** Velocity: to be verified.

ps: All hail gump.

--
Ceki Gülcü