commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [GUMP@brutus]: jakarta-commons/commons-logging failed
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 09:18:09 GMT

This time in English:

Experiments I conducted also show that while it is fairly easy to
modify commons-logging to make it compile-time compatible with both
log4j 1.2 and 1.3alpha, there will be problems at runtime.

In fact, commons-logging source compiled with log4j-1.2.x.jar will only
run with log4j-1.2.x.jar but not log4j-1.3alpha.jar. Similarly, the
*same* commons-logging source code will compile fine with
log4j-1.3alpha.jar but it will only run with log4j-1.3alpha.jar, not
log4j-1.2.x.jar.

In summary, the changes proposed by Mario Ivankovits and myself
achieve compile-time compatibility but not run-time compatibility.

At 11:00 AM 5/19/2004, you wrote:

>>>The change was in the Category class, formerly the log methods accepted
>>>a priority but this has change to a level now.
>>>
>>>But it looks like the change isnt really backward compatible, i have
>>>tried this now and got the following exception (patched commons-logging
>>>and log4j-1.2.8):
>>
>>(as i read the language specification 2.0 anyway) this change should be
>>compile compatible but not binary compatible. (i think that the cause is
>>that in java the method overload algorithm is executed at compile time -
>>see sections 13.2 and 15.2.)
>>
>>nice if ceki (or someone else from log4j) could confirm that this change
>>is incompatible.
>
>Experiments I conducted also show that while it is fairly easy to
>modify commons-logging to make it compile-time compatible with both
>log4j 1.2 and 1.3alpha.
>
>However, at runtime, commons-logging source compiled with
>log4j-1.2.x.jar will run with log4j-1.2.x.jar but not
>log4j-1.3alpha.jar. Similarly, the *same* commons-logging source code
>will compile fine with log4j-1.3alpha.jar but it will only with
>log4j-1.3alpha.jar, log4j-1.2.x.jar.
>
>In summary, the changes proposed by Mario Ivankovits and myself
>achieve compile-time compatibility but not run-time compatibility.
>
>>- robert
>
>--
>Ceki Gülcü
>
>      For log4j documentation consider "The complete log4j manual"
>      ISBN: 2970036908 http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp

Ceki Gülcü