commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [GUMP@brutus]: jakarta-commons/commons-logging failed
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 09:00:50 GMT
At 11:23 PM 5/17/2004, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>>Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>>
>>>Fortunately, the required changes are easy and are backward compatible.
>>>Commons-logging code needs to be changed as follows.
>>
>>The change was in the Category class, formerly the log methods accepted a
>>priority but this has change to a level now.
>>
>>But it looks like the change isnt really backward compatible, i have
>>tried this now and got the following exception (patched commons-logging
>>and log4j-1.2.8):
>
>(as i read the language specification 2.0 anyway) this change should be
>compile compatible but not binary compatible. (i think that the cause is
>that in java the method overload algorithm is executed at compile time -
>see sections 13.2 and 15.2.)
>
>nice if ceki (or someone else from log4j) could confirm that this change
>is incompatible.

Experiments I conducted also show that while it is fairly easy to
modify commons-logging to make it compile-time compatible with both
log4j 1.2 and 1.3alpha.

However, at runtime, commons-logging source compiled with
log4j-1.2.x.jar will run with log4j-1.2.x.jar but not
log4j-1.3alpha.jar. Similarly, the *same* commons-logging source code
will compile fine with log4j-1.3alpha.jar but it will only with
log4j-1.3alpha.jar, log4j-1.2.x.jar.

In summary, the changes proposed by Mario Ivankovits and myself
achieve compile-time compatibility but not run-time compatibility.

--
Ceki Gülcü