commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [collections] Size and scope issues
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 15:12:32 GMT
I can say that it is not politics for the Geronimo project.  Our goal
is to keep our stand alone kernel small (under 4mb) and a full Geronimo
server under 16mb (I'm shooting for under 8).  Small size is important
as it directly effects the places where people will be using the
server.  There is a demand for J2EE servers in small hardware.  Anyway,
just taking a quick look at ibiblio this is the history of
commons-collections

commons-collections-1.0.jar            84k
commons-collections-2.0.jar            88k
commons-collections-2.1.jar           161k
commons-collections-3.0.jar           506k
commons-collections-SNAPSHOT.jar      842k

I find it hard to believe that there are almost 1mb of truly common
collections.  Either way, the writing is on the wall, the package is
growing and growing quickly.  Not only that, since this library is
widely used in commons, all of those projects are growing at a rapid
rate.

Building small tight code is not easy, especially as Craig put it the
other day "perceptions of 'really common' versus 'rarely used' seem to
be awfully personal".  The alternative is you end up with huge
highly-coupled libraries and no one wants to use them anymore.

Instead of just bitching, I'll suggest a possible solution.  Pick
someone in your project who understands the issues, has shown an
interest in these problems, and give them the authority to make
decisions.  I know it is not very "Apache", but I believe it will work.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network