commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [site] main + sandbox site update
Date Mon, 31 May 2004 20:40:52 GMT
Please review the discussion we had previously on this...

http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg38884.html

This is the reason we settled on the selected logo's, because it was of
less overall impact on the group and accomplished our goals of
maintaining the site fits within 600x800 as a standard.

Just to point out, with your changes, the height of the header is not
going to adjust to be narrower because all the individual project logos
are at 80px height, having the jakarta logo narrower than 80px in height
is of little benefit, your going to have to press every single project
to generate new logos that are narrower in height so that the whole
header is narrower. The downfall of this is that these logos are already
hard-pressed for space to fit adequately within the header without
looking totally "crunched".

If your using the /commons-build/commons-site.jsl. It has the height of
the header hardcoded in the css style to enforce that the same height is
maintained across the whole commons. It doesn't look like your using it
for the sandbox site. I'm not complaining, just noticing that theres a
difference, there are modifications in the commons-build jsl that are
absent form the sandbox copy.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. We definitely need this kind of
experimentation and redesign efforts done to the overall site. I think
everyone agrees these efforts are very appreciated. I just want us to be
methodical and consensus driven in our approach.

-Mark

Dirk Verbeeck wrote:

> Yes, this logo looks better, is also used on main jakarta site and
> reduces the height of the header.
>
> I know about the small screen issue but my opinion is to optimize for
> the largest group (using a large screen size).
>
> If you want to optimize for a small screen then you also need to change
> the menu etc, so for now I choose for the better looking logo
>

> -- Dirk
>

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> I notice your using the long jakarta logo. Was that an intentional
>> change?
>>
>> -Mark
>>
>> Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
>>
>>> OK, the next step in making commons website more uniform is taken.
>>>
>>> All sandbox components now have a logo, use the commons menu and have
>>> the commons l&f (more or less).
>>> http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/sandbox/
>>>
>>> There are also 2 new components:
>>> http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/sandbox/feedparser/
>>> http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/sandbox/transaction/
>>>
>>> I will also update the main commons pages to include the 2 new
>>> components and to update the wiki link.
>>> http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkv/commons/
>>>
>>> Unless anyone wants a last minute change, I'll push these changes
>>> online in a couple of hours.
>>>
>>> -- Dirk

Mark Diggory
Software Developer