commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Design review pre 1.0
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 17:54:38 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Hola,
>

>>Yes, it would be good to maintain acceptable html in javadoc. Yet, I'd
>>like to point out that javadoc isn't java code. while we would like to
>>maintain lots of it to help our users understand it, the library works
>>just fine without it.
>>

>But if you do have it, it's be nice if it were in a human-friendly
>browsing format, given that it's intended for humans and that most of
>them use the HTML JavaDocs ;)

True...True...

>>>5) Is double suitable for these calculations? Should the strictfp flag
>>>

>be
>

>>>used? (I have no idea as to the answer, but I have to ask)
>>>

>>Neither do I. Can anyone enlighten us?
>>

>You probably want strictfp: http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=17544.

Wow, I should have known that, really, I should have...

>>>6) ComplexFormat doesn't extend the JDK Format class
>>>

>You didn't address this issue.  ?

I think Tim did.

>>implementation is designed such that it reads each url/file twice makes
>>doing this not possible.
>>

>Out of curiosity, why read each url/file twice?
>
>Yoav Shapira

What I see is that in EmpiricalDistribution(Impl) that the first pass
calculates the overall statistics and the second calculates statistics
for each bin. I might recommend that these methods (computeBinStats and
computeStats) actually be consolidateded into one method that does both.
this way it can all be done in one pass. Although I may be missing
something, Phil may be more appropriate to respond to this issue as he
is the original author. Phil, is it possible these two passes could be
consolidated into one?

thanks,
Mark