commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math][proposal] Drop serialization from selected classes
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 20:44:12 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

>Since implementing Serializable requires that all subclasses also implement serializable
and that care be taken to ensure backward serialization compatability, my view is that we
should implement Serializable iff there is a reason to do so, not by default for all classes.

This is not true, you only have to implement serializable in your
subclass if you want to support serialization, there is no requirement
that you are forced to do so because the parent class implements it. It
is completely transparent to the user in this reguard.

>I am interested in others' views on this.   Maybe I am missing something, but I see no
value in implementing Serializable for factories, abstract classes, utility classes and such.

Yes, I'll agree for abstracts, its not really neccessary, it was more a
practice on my part to confirm that they were truly serializable. I also
agree its probibly not very important for factories, but its a
no-brainer, effects very little in terms of source code and performance
and is a very simple thing to maintain. Arguing that this creates all
kinds of headaches is really a "Red Herring". I spent an hour on it this
afternoon and can confidently state that our API can easily support it
without headaches to anyone. Removing it only steps on peoples toes in
the long run.

-1 on removing Serialization Interfaces.

Mark