commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math][proposal] Drop serialization from selected classes
Date Sun, 23 May 2004 22:27:34 GMT
These are all used either in stats or tests of stats.

 >>> AbstractDescriptiveStatistics
 >>> DefaultTransformer
 >>> DescriptiveStatistics
 >>> DescriptiveStatisticsImpl
 >>> SummaryStatisticsImpl
 >>> TransformerMap

But, like Stephen pointed out, I'd recommend adding serialversionUID's
over removing Serialization Interfaces across the entire math package.

I've written simplified serialization/deserialization test support into
the TestUtils. As such, its very easy to write tests that simply call
this method, then test if all the values are still correct in the Object
returned.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/xref-test/org/apache/commons/math/TestUtils.html#71

-Mark

Phil Steitz wrote:
> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> I see great value in maintaining and improving functionality such
>> as this. I do not think that it is something that should limit us from
>> releasing. It is a secondary characteristic that does not impact
>> currently existing performance outside of serialization. I also think
>> removing it sets us back in terms of its development. If it is a
>> sensitive subject, we can suggest via disclaimer that it is under
>> development in various areas of the API at this time and usage is not
>> fully tested.
>>
>> If your looking for examples where it is used. I'm currently using
>> them with Simulations using RePast and Mason. Mason allows checkpointing
>> the simulations to serialized files and then deserializing and
>> restarting them. This allows for both "distributed simulation" and for
>> persistence of state. Being able to checkpoint the stat classes is
>> critical in my applications.
>

> Can you please specify which of the classes listed in the [proposal]
> need serialization support?  I omitted most of the stats objects from
> the list.
>

> Phil

Mark Diggory
Software Developer