commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [math][proposal] Drop serialization from selected classes
Date Sun, 23 May 2004 17:32:33 GMT
Mark R. Diggory wrote:
> I'm not sure why your want to do this? We've already put a great deal of
> effort into assuring its possible and consistent.
>
> I would like to see as much serialization maintained as possible. Being
> able to serialize/deserialized these objects is a powerful feature. I've
> worked hard to show that this serialization is functional and error free
> with the tests that I have written (at least in the statistics package).

Cf. Stephen's remarks on serialization in the API review.  Unless there is
a compelling reason for these classes to be serializable, I would prefer
not to force ourselves (and anyone subclassing these things) to maintain
support and worry about serialization compatability.  Can you explain why
these classes (many of which have no state) *should* be serializable?