commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [beanutils] PROPOSAL: eliminate core dependency on collections
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 21:38:04 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 6 May 2004, at 21:28, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>
>> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>>> 2 replace the references to FastHashMap with a private static
>>> implementation. consider whether to replace this altogether.
>>>

>> +1.  Regarding replacement, I'm fine with any approach that lets us
>> read from the collection without locking (which is the 99.9% use case
>> for where the Fast* stuff is used in both BeanUtils and in Struts).
>> In practice, nobody has reported a reproducible bug against the code
>> in these classes, but I can certainly appreciate how difficult it
>> would be to accomplish this.
>

> hmmm...
>
> if FastHashMap is used in struts as well as beanutils then maybe we
> should retain this class in the source (as well as the other two)...

It's used in Struts for purposes similar to where it's used in beanutils
... for mostly-read-only access to configuration collections.

That's not really something that should drive a [beanutils] decision,
though ... and this is all a temporary measure until we can deprecate
the bad public API and fix it.  I'm still fine with copying them.

>>> 3 factor out a new bean-collections jar under
>>> extras/bean-collections containing the (cool) implementations of
>>> collections stuffs using beanutils bean-magic.
>>>
>> I'm not sure I'm parsing this sentence correctly.  Does that mean we
>> just put the ArrayStack and Buffer and Fast* classes being grabbed
>> here, instead of in src/java?  If so, +1.  Otherwise, could you
>> please explain further?
>

> there are five classes that have direct dependencies on the core of
> collections:
>  BeanComparator
>  BeanPredicate
>  BeanPropertyValueChangeClosure
>  BeanPropertyValueEqualsPredicate
>  BeanToPropertyValueTransformer
>
> i'm pretty sure that these have been added since the last release (but
> i will check that). these all operate on collections of beans using
> the core collections abstracts and so have real dependencies on
> collections (3.0).
>
> i like these classes but i don't think that they are sufficiently part
> of the core beanutils to justify retaining the collections dependency.
> so, i think that the best solution would be to for these to be
> factored out into a separate sub-component (beanutil-bean-collections
> or something) within the beanutils directory structure with it's own
> build and it's additional dependency.
>
> i'd like to think that we'd distribute this as an optional jar within
> the main beanutils distribution.
>
> have i explained this better now?

That makes much more sense ... thanks.  I'm +1 on this idea.

> or would it be easier for me to create a branch and commit stuff onto
> that so that people can take a look...

HEAD branch is fine with me.

> - robert

Craig