commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [beanutils] PROPOSAL: eliminate core dependency on collections
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 20:28:42 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> PROPOSAL: eliminate the core dependency on commons-collections
>
> rationale - this will not only eliminate a sizable dependency for many
> products depending on beanutils but also reduce chances of
> compatibility issues with the various versions of collections.
>
> PLAN:
>
> 1 add org.apache.commons.collections.ArrayStack and
> org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer source to beanutils (these are
> required by the public API)

+1

> 2 replace the references to FastHashMap with a private static
> implementation. consider whether to replace this altogether.

+1.  Regarding replacement, I'm fine with any approach that lets us read
from the collection without locking (which is the 99.9% use case for
where the Fast* stuff is used in both BeanUtils and in Struts).  In
practice, nobody has reported a reproducible bug against the code in
these classes, but I can certainly appreciate how difficult it would be
to accomplish this.

> 3 factor out a new bean-collections jar under extras/bean-collections
> containing the (cool) implementations of collections stuffs using
> beanutils bean-magic.

I'm not sure I'm parsing this sentence correctly.  Does that mean we
just put the ArrayStack and Buffer and Fast* classes being grabbed here,
instead of in src/java?  If so, +1.  Otherwise, could you please explain
further?

> i've made a start on this work (so if anyone has any reasonable
> objections, now would be a very good time to state them :) but i'd be
> willing to change if anyone comes up with any improvements to this plan.
>
> - robert

Craig