commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [digester] local ArrayStack implementation not backwardscompatible?
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 23:57:24 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:

>From: "David Graham" <grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com>
>

>>What happens if someone is using both digester and collections?  Which
>>ArrayStack class would be used when they're in the same package in
>>different jars?  Hoping that the class doesn't change seems rather
>>optimistic and error prone.
>>

>Its a judgement on the stability of the classes in question. Buffer is an
>interface, and thus doesn't change. ArrayStack is very old and stable.
>
>I am also in favour of digester moving to not requiring the classes ASAP as
>well ;-)

FWIW, we did indeed decouple Digester's *direct* dependence on
[collections].  This was done by copying the ArrayStack class (with a
package rename, since it was only used internally and not publicly
exposed) into o.a.c.digester.  The only remaining dependency is the one
inherited from [beanutils].

I like copying the class without a package rename as a medium-term step
while we deprecate and create a new public method that returns a
standard collection class instead of a [collections] class.  The chances
of a bad change on the [collections] version of this class are low;
especially in the kind of time frame we are talking about.

>Stephen

Craig