commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] library management
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 22:45:41 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 04:53, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>

>>robert burrell donkin wrote:

>>>there's nothing technically unfeasible about this. (gump does this and
>>>more :)
>>>
>>>one of the good rules we have is that each commons release should only
>>>depend on previously released code so it should just be a case of
>>>re-rolling the big jar and creating a new big-commons release each
>>>time any component was released.
>>>

>>If you want to play with exactly this concept, check out the build.xml
>>script in [combo].  It was designed to make a "pick the latest published
>>release of all the constituent libraries" policy very easy to accomplish
>>-- all you need is to update the CVS tag to pull as new releases are
>>made.  In addition, someone who wanted a different set of versions could
>>easily override the CVS tags themselves.
>>
>>There are some wrinkles yet to be worked out, and I don't have time at
>>the moment to focus on it, but there's a starting point for someone
>>interested.  If for no other reason, consolidated Javadocs for all of
>>commons (one of the outputs of this script) is very useful.
>>

>>>IMHO the main obstacle is organizational. people have enough
>>>difficulty with the current release process without adding to it.
>>>unless someone's willing to step forward and volunteer to manage the
>>>organizational side of the big commons jar (including release
>>>management) then it's not really worth wasting time on. (craig started
>>>something similar i'd guess over a year ago now but no one was really
>>>interested enough in the idea to push it forward.) i'd be happy to
>>>give a hand on the integration side but i don't cut jakarta releases
>>>any more (so i'm not willing to take this one on).
>>>

>>I think the mechanical aspects of building a combination JAR can be
>>dealt with.  What I don't think we have in place at all is any sort of
>>unit or system tests to ensure that version X of library FOO works with
>>version Y of library BAR.  Therefore, I'd be cautious about declaring
>>anything about a release of [combo] other than "here is a particular
>>combination of Commons libraries, conveniently packaged in one JAR for you."
>>

>That's my concern. If collections releases 3.0, we can't just roll a new
>"commons-all" jar without testing that projects like beanutils or
>digester work with this new collections release. But how on earth do we
>do that? It seems to me that the unit tests for every project that
>depends upon the newly released project would need to be run - at the
>very least - in order to provide any guarantees that the "commons-all"
>release is stable. Does the "combo" project do this? If not, is it
>really the kind of release that Jakarta wants to put its name to?

I'd worry about this more if I believed that projects that ship multiple
commons JARs today (like Tomcat or Struts) do any interoperability
testing beyond making sure that their own uses of the underlying
libraries was successful.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to offer a
convenience package whose contents is a specifically listed set of
commons JARs ... the functional result of using this JAR should match
the functional result of using all the individual JAR files themselves.

If we're still concerned about compatibility testing, another way to
look at [combo] is a tool for people to build their own custom
combinations, rather than something we use to ship a combined package
ourselves.

>Gary Gregory's "pruner" suggestion seems like a possible way forward to
>me. The pruner could takes a configuration file that specifies a set of
>classes. It would then run against a set of jars and extract the
>specified classes plus all their dependencies into a new jar file.
>Jakarta could publish a set of configuration files for various purposes.
>Running the tool against a single jar, or against a project's jars + its
>officially-supported dependencies would guarantee a functioning result.
>Running the tool against the complete set of latest releases of all
>projects might not result in a jar file that is valid (eg collections
>3.0 + classes that depend on collections-2.x). The one issue it does
>*not* address is generation of javadoc for the resulting jar. However
>such a tool should be simple for users to use. We *could* potentially
>automate its use to build a set of customised releases, but I would
>certainly not be in favour of this for the "cross-project" bundles, due
>to the inability to run the necessary unit tests as described above.
>
>What do people think about the "pruner" suggestion?

I can see how pruner might be useful for static dependencies (i.e.
import statements).  What do you do about dynamic dependencies (for
example, a class loaded by ClassLoader.loadClass() whose name is only
known because it's in a configuration file)?  And how does this do any
better at dealing with inter-library compatibility testing?
Compiles-clean isn't really good enough -- and Gump can already tell us
that.

>Regards,
>
>Simon

Craig