commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [math] Splitting out t- and chi-square tests
Date Sun, 02 May 2004 01:34:28 GMT
Al Chou wrote:
> --- Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
>
>>Currently, o.a.c.m.stat.inference has one interface, TestStatistic, that
>>includes both t- and chi-square test statistics and tests. I think that it
>>would be better to split these out into two interfaces -- TTest and
>>ChiSquareTest (also splitting the impls accordingly).  Any objections to
>>this?
>

> Not having any real familiarity with the stat package, here's just a general
> question:  is there any value to TestStatistic remaining as a parent interface
> that TTest and ChiSquareTest extend?  Or would that just be silly?

Interesting idea, but I don't see much that can be abstracted.  Basically,
TestStatistic provides test statistics and computes p-values for
Chi-Square and t-tests.   The only thing common among these is that the
tests are statistical tests and all that could be abstracted would be the
p-value computation, which is not much IMHO. I am interested in what
others think, though.

Have a look at the new interfaces after I split them out.  I am going to
slip support for chi-square tests for independence in two-way tables into
the chi-square stuff to round out that interface.

Phil