commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [digester] local ArrayStack implementation not backwardscompatible?
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2004 03:19:11 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:

>From: "Simon Kitching" <simon@ecnetwork.co.nz>
>

>>While compiling the release notes, and checking for API
>>incompatibilities between releases, it occurred to me that there is a
>>backward compatibility issue. Am I right in thinking that when
>>subclassing a class with "protected" members, if the parent class
>>implementation changes the type of those members then that is a binary
>>incompatibility with the subclass?
>>

>You are correct.
>

>>PS: I've tested BeanUtils and Digester against collections-3.0, and:
>>(a) binaries compiled against collections-2.1 complete all tests ok
>>    when 3.0 is put in the classpath instead of 2.1.
>>(b) all source compiles against 3.0 fine, and tests run ok.
>>

>I have avoided commenting on digester/beanutils issues with collections, as
>I believe the long term proposed solution of separation to be correct
>(commons components should be pretty isolated). However, at the very least
>it needs to be made clear in any release notes that digester and beanutils
>will run correctly with either 2.1 or 3.0. Perhaps that way tomcat can be
>convinced to change to 3.0.

 From what I can see on TOMCAT-DEV, the Tomcat developers think that
there are backwards incompatibilities for Tomcat users (beyond any
issues that might affect Tomcat itself).  Based on that, I've certainly
been one of those casting aspersions.  If we're all full of it, a
[collections] statement on the nature and scope of backwards
compatibility, pointing out the error of our (Tomcat developers and my)
ways, would go a long ways towards addressing this concern.

Struts is shortly going to be in the same boat ... the dependency of
Struts itself on collections is only that inherited from
Digester/BeanUtils; but the Struts developers will want to ensure that
an upgrade to Collections 3.0 won't cause undue problems for users of
Struts, before we switch.

>Stephen

Craig