commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [collections] Size and scope issues
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 22:35:47 GMT
On 3 May 2004, at 16:12, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

<snip>

> Instead of just bitching, I'll suggest a possible solution.  Pick
> someone in your project who understands the issues, has shown an
> interest in these problems, and give them the authority to make
> decisions.  I know it is not very "Apache", but I believe it will
> work.

i know that i've said it before but i'm not really convinced that this
is so much an authority issue as an awareness/motivation issue. if
there are good and well-known reasons why small footprint distributions
are required, then i'd say that it's unlikely anyone would veto the
creation of extra build targets for more modular distributions as well
as the current monolithic ones.

the main problem is that there's been a lot of pressure from users in
the other direction - bigger distributions, fewer jars. we've had quite
a fair number of requests for comprehensive distributions containing
everything in the jakarta commons but (until recently) very few people
have come and made compelling arguments for the need for more compact
and focussed distributions.

we could probably satisfy both those who want comprehensive libraries
and those who need more compact ones by providing a monolithic jar and
a set of modular jars within the binary distribution. wouldn't this
satisfy both needs?

- robert