commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] Inheritance version 2
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 11:19:09 GMT
On 30 May 2004, at 05:48, Inger, Matthew wrote:

> I will try to come up with some unit tests following whatever
> examples are in the betwixt package currently.

that's a good idea. betwixt uses it's own testing utilities and there
are number of tricks. these probably need documenting one day soon.

> I'm still waiting
> on my committer access (CLA still hasn't been recorded), otherwise
> I'd make the commit myself when i've got the unit tests ready.

the betwixt code on CVS HEAD is fragile, hard to understand and poorly
tested. historically, it's been easy for developers to create patches
which work for them but break other important features. that's one
reason why i've been reluctant to actively recruit new betwixt
developers.

(the code on the REFACTORING branch is more robust and easier to safely
work with. note that until the new digester release, the unit tests on
REFACTORING are broken when run from maven).

there are also a few ways in which the betwixt practices are a little
different from some other components. all extra features need unit
testing, documenting and adding to the task list. betwixt really needs
a developer guide.

the new roadmap (on the wiki) is for the CVS HEAD material to be
released sooner rather than later as 0.5 as a baseline, bug fix release
for those using the alpha. therefore, i'd prefer it if you don't just
dive in right now. if you're keen to help with betwixt (and your
efforts would certainly be appreciated :) then probably the best thing
to do would be to take a release candidate branch for 0.5 sometime this
week.

> As far as the documentation, i'm assuming it's bundled with the
> source code, correct?  If not, please let me know where i can
> get it, and how to get the changes back to you.

the javadocs are mainly aimed at developers (or advanced users who
write their own strategies and so on).

the user documentation is contained in the xdocs/guide directory. it's
in the usual xml format used by maven. please make sure that
documentation is added at the same time as the code. (i know that this
is a slow way of working but it's easier having this stuff on the
website than answering questions on the user list.)

- robert