commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [collections] Size and scope issues
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 07:11:57 GMT
i definitely agree that one jar is the best solution for many users.
for those users for whom jar size is a big issue, then i'd say for that
for many use cases rolling a custom version (possibly repackaged) is
the best approach. (i have heard that this is how BEA re-uses the
commons logging stuff.)

but we've been hearing that for some users - many of them influential
open source developers - this approach is unsatisfactory. one of the
main aims for jakarta commons was to facilitate re-use of library code
between open source projects. there are a few of ASF projects who are
refusing to use any jakarta commons components on principle now for
this reason. (they want small, tight libraries.) i suspect that this is
partly political but there is a kernel of truth in the criticisms. it's
best to think about this kind of issue early before a momentum
develops.

certainly, i'm keen to see digester 2 (if and when it comes along)
factored into a small core with minimal dependencies together with
optional extensions. the binary distribution would contain both a
single complete jar and a set of multiple jars. i hope that this should
be able to satisfy most users and since this is just a build issue, i
suspect that the maintenance would be minimal.

- robert