commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: [logging][PROPOSAL] a solution to incompatibility between log4j versions
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 17:08:01 GMT
> On the log4j we are making a very serious effort to keep everyone
> happy.

And that is greatly appreciated. :)

I really wish you weren't having to go through this, I can hardly imagine
how frustrating it must be to maintain an old interface for two years,
attempting a clean deprecation, only run into such a gotcha. I do feel for
you, and think users appreciate anything you can do to help.

> Tell us specifically what fails and we will do our best to fix
> it. Rolling back everything is not specific enough.

Then can I say, whatever "changed in the public API"? ;-) Seriously though,
I'd mentioned them previous in thread. That said, this thread has morphed,
moved over 4 list, etc, so here again:

Best I can tell from here:

    http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/project_todos.html

These two are the Priority deprecation:

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/jakarta-commons/commons-logging/index.html
http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/jakarta-velocity/jakarta-velocity/index.html

You already reverted this one, thanks (it was RootCategory, I think):

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/avalon-excalibur/excalibur-logger/index.html

Again, these are only the ones I can tell from within Apacge/Gump. External
users who've not moved from Priority, are probably the same.

> Moreover, we have provided very clear set of instructions that safely
> address the c-l compilation problems. I think log4j is the wrong tree
> to bark at.
>
> I noticed that
> <http://gump.covalent.net/log/bootstrap-ant.html>bootstrap-ant no longer
> builds. Is it a related problem?

Hmm, good question. Seems possible, but odd that it works here:
    http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/ant/bootstrap-ant/index.html

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/ant/bootstrap-ant/gump_work/buildscript_ant_bootstrap-ant.html

(although here it assumes no log4j).

The check does look for :

    <available property="log4j.present"
            classname="org.apache.log4j.Category"
            classpathref="classpath"/>

Did that change?

I'll ask a Gumpmeister (who has access to that box) to take a closer look,
and get back to you.

regards,

Adam