commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] AbstractDescriptive Statistics
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 20:39:30 GMT
--- "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I'm curious about AbstractDescriptiveStatistics, currently our Type
> Hierarchy looks like this:
>
> Object
>      --> DescriptiveStatistics (implements Statistical Summary)
>                --> AbstractDescriptiveStatistics
>                             --> DescriptiveStatisticsImpl
>
>                             --> ListUnivariateImpl
>                                          --> BeanListUnivariateImpl
>

> Why don't we consolidate AbstractDescriptiveStatistics into
> DescriptiveStatistics? Then we will have

On the basis of the above diagram (I haven't looked at the code), it does seem
strange that AbstractDescriptiveStatistics is a descendant of
DescriptiveStatistics (unless the latter is an interface?).

> Object
>      --> DescriptiveStatistics (implements StatisticalSummary)
>                --> DescriptiveStatisticsImpl
>
>                --> ListUnivariateImpl
>                             --> BeanListUnivaraiteImpl
>
> Which is much more similar to the SummaryStatistics Hierarchy
>
> Object
>      --> SummaryStatistics (implements StatisticalSummary)
>                --> SummaryStatisticsImpl
>
> Likewise, for consistency, we should probibly rename ListUnivariateImpl
> and BeanListUnivariateImpl to ListDescriptiveStatisticsImpl and
> BeanDescriptiveStatisticsImpl
>
> If no one has objections, I can make the changes.

+0, depending on whether multivariates are in our near future (on which I
currently have no opinion).

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou