commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [all][collections] Solving binary incompatability
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 23:46:54 GMT

--- Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> From: "David Graham" <grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com>
> > If I understand correctly, incompatible changes were made to
> collections
> > after 3.0 and the next planned release is 3.1.  So, since you haven't
> > released 3.1 yet, you can still go back and fix the incompatibilities.
>
> If only it was that easy :-) The incompatible change is between 2.1 and
> 3.0 - two released versions. The question is what to do about it.

You're allowed to have incompatibilities between different major version
numbers.  A big problem with Collections is its overuse in other commons
components which is in the process of being fixed.  Clients don't have to
migrate to 3.0 if they don't want so I don't see a problem.  If there's
demand you can always release bugfixes from the 2.1 series (ie. 2.1.1).

David