commons-dev mailing list archives

From praveen kulkarni <job4...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: [math] derivatives & UnivarateRealFunction (diff'able)
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 09:47:05 GMT
Yes, Matt, i think thats the right way

Matt Cliff <matt@mattcliff.com> wrote:
About 4 weeks ago there was discussion w/ adding a derivative method to an
extension of the o.a.c.m.analysis.UnivariateRealFunction interface.

I apologize for the time delay but I had previously contributed some
code that made it to the expiremental branch in the project for
FunctionOperators. see:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/math/src/experimental/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/

anyway at the time I just wanted to re-focus the group on this concept
as it relates to Derivates. There is a DerivativeOperatorFactory which
creates a function D, such that D(f) = f' numerically. The reason I did
this was to build a framework to add do numerical initial-value problems.
A lot of these methods use as a base Taylor series approximations, and
hence there is a need for higher order derivative evaluations.

long and short, I thought that the DerivativeOperator approach would be
a nice start to this without having to program a Function and it's
derivative(s).

Any thoughts?

--
Matt Cliff
Cliff Consulting

The label said install Windows 98 or better so I installed Linux.