commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: [New Proposal] An Imaging wrapper package
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 19:45:20 GMT
Hmm, images. A never ending story.

I'm a committer in the Apache FOP project where we also have our own
wrapper for a number of image sources. We only have to load images so
FOP's needs are more simple than what you propose, although in certain
aspects the requirement will probably go beyond what you propose. Have a
look at FOP's image package:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-fop/src/java/org/apache/fop/image/

In my barcode package (http://barcode4j.krysalis.org) I also need an
image API wrapper (write-only):
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/barcode4j/barcode4j/src/java/org/krysalis/barcode4j/output/bitmap/
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/barcode4j/barcode4j/src/java-1.4/org/krysalis/barcode4j/output/bitmap/

Apache Batik needs to load images, too. Batik and FOP are about to move
closer together (codename "XML Graphics") and may eventually share some
basic components in the future of which image API adapters could be one.

And finally, there still is the desire for a BSD-style licensed image
codec library. I get to hear that from time to time although nothing
like this has started, yet, here within the ASF.

Personally, I'm intrigued by your proposal although my priorities
wouldn't allow for a lot of participation on such an endeavour.
Furthermore, I'm not sure if Jakarta Commons is the right place for this,
crowded as it is already (IMHO).

Just a few random thoughts and pointers....

On 06.05.2004 13:45:17 Abey Mullassery wrote:
> Proposal for Imaging Wrapper Package

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki