commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: [logging] eliminate dependencies on commons-logging [was [beanutils] PROPOSAL: eliminate core dependency on collections
Date Mon, 10 May 2004 09:19:32 GMT
On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 17:37, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 06:16, matthew.hawthorne wrote:
> > robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > > funnily enough, if commons logging was to be created again, i'd (with
> > > hindsight) consider something along those lines. the bridging
> > > implementations would be in a separate, optional jar and the two classes
> > > required in the public logging API would be copied over into each
> > > component (as part of the build). if the implementation jar is not
> > > present, error and fatal levels (only) would log to system.err. those
> > > users wanting logging would have to grab and drop in the implementation
> > > jar.
>
> Doh! Can I vote +2 on this :-)

Doh! I forgot something very important...

> In fact I liked the idea so much, that attached is a proposed
> implementation.
>
> I suggest that the attached LogSource class, together with o.a.c.l.Log,
> be copied into every project. Of course all the LogFactory.getLog calls
> would need to be changed to LogSource.getLog calls too.

Of course the proposed LogSource class can be renamed in the "importing"
project. And probably should be.

Only the o.a.c.l.Log interface needs to be distributed "un-renamed", and
therefore potentially duplicated when multiple libraries are then used
together. And as it's an interface which will only change in major
library upgrades, I don't see that the duplication causes any problems
except *possibly* this security policy issue:

> Question: what about situations where multiple libraries are running
> with different security policies? Might this cause problems when each
> lib contains its own copy of o.a.c.l.Log ? Would this be worse than if
> they didn't have their own copy?

Cheers,

Simon