commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] TO-DO for release 1.6
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 22:40:30 GMT

On 4 May 2004, at 23:26, Simon Kitching wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 09:25, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> On 24 Apr 2004, at 04:12, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>>> Simon Kitching wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> -- will take care of this over the weekend.
>>
>> i'm happy to do the actual moving. IMHO the real question is about
>> what's the best structure.
>>
>> digester -- src -- java
>>           |      |
>>           |      |- test
>>           |- extras -- rss -- src -- java
>>                                   |- test
>>
>> is this the kind of thing people are thinking about?
>>
>> anyone have any comments/alternatives?
>
> That's pretty much what I was thinking, though I thought we could
> simplify things and just have a single "extras" directory for
> everything, ie
>    digester/src/extras/src/java/org/apache/commons/digester/rss
>
> However Craig didn't like the "extras" idea when I suggested it, and
> preferred to put RSS under "examples" (which is also fine by me). He
> has
> now done this: see
>    digester/src/examples/rss/src/java/....

there are a couple of reasons why i prefer a separate sub-directory:

1 i would like to be able to add extensions of core digester code that
add non-core dependencies. it seemed natural to me to include both the
rss code and this new code under extras.

2 maven plays a little better with subdirectories.

(but i don't think that it makes a lot of difference)

the only pressing issue about the rss code is that some of the struts
documentation depends on it.

> I can't see any rss unit tests. I thought there were some before, but I
> can't find any now, even when updating with -D to check old stuff.
> DigesterTestCase has a few DTD declarations for rss, but that's all I
> can see.

IMO viewCVS is very good at tracking down stuff like this.

- robert