commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] ServletContextLogger
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 21:30:06 GMT
On 27 May 2004, at 15:29, Inger, Matthew wrote:

> Some points:
>
> 1.  The classloader for any thread in a servlet container is guarnteed
>     be unique per Web Application (context).  Each Web Application has
> it's
>     own classloader, which is part of the servlet spec.  I'm not sure i
> understand
>     what your saying here.

it's not quite as simple as that :)

each class has a classloader. the class classloader is the loader that
loads the class. the classloader is not necessarily the same as the
context classloader attached to the thread in a container environment.
for example, the class classloader is the root classloader if the class
is on the root classpath. therefore, for some classes, the class
classloader may be shared between web applications. the context
classloader is unique (between web applications).

- robert