commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/chain/apps/mailreader build.xml
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:55:06 GMT
At 4:46 PM -0700 4/10/04, Steve Raeburn wrote:
>One way (almost certainly not the way inted by the Maven authors) is to
>manually drop the jars into the your local maven repository (e.g.
>.maven/repository/struts/jars/struts-1.2.0.jar) then Maven won't bother
>looking for it in the remote repository.

Actually, I doubt that that's frowned upon in any way.  In fact, for
some libraries with more restrictive distribution licenses, it's the
only way -- IBiblio can't serve Sun jars like JavaMail.

Another solution (for those two dependencies, at least) would be to
check out CVS to the version-tag you want and run "maven
jar:install", which builds the library and puts it in your local
repository.  Well, that may or may not work, depending on whether the
project.xml file has the right <version> associated with the tag...
(I think we've been pretty careful about that with Struts, although
I'm not exactly sure of the best way to describe the version value in
project.xml between formal releases.)

Since commons-chain has never been released, that version number is
just kind of arbitrary anyway.

>I believe you can set a property to override the location, but I haven't
>tried that yet.

Yes.  See
http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Overriding_Stated_Dependencies
You can either specify an alternate version of something that is in
your repository or explicitly define the path to a JAR that you have
somewhere other than your repository.  Maven uses the same property
name for both.

maven.jar.struts=/path/to/my/struts-1.2.0.jar

When using the maven.jar.* properties, you must also define
maven.jar.override=on

(see
http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Properties_Processing
for details of where to define properties).

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com