commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Markup stuff on lang???
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:51:02 GMT

It is opinion based though. While I'm not against your 3Map, Unmodifiable
and Functor arguments, I'm very against the comparator argument.

Writing custom comparators all the time is a big waste of development time
that I see all the time. They do not normally need to be performant to
that extent.

I can happily verify this by the number of times I apply BeanComparator,
which uses reflection and is obviously at the slow end of performance.

All of this shows that design by community can tend to larger APIs than
design by sole-need. One of Hani's complaints has been the sheer number of
jars at Commons, though I can't be arsed to find a reference so that might
be wrong :)

Hen