commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Jelly] current and future status?
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:09:51 GMT
On 1 Apr 2004, at 18:28, matthew.hawthorne wrote:

> Corey Jewett wrote:
>> Jelly is foundational to maven (maven.apache.org). Maven seems to be
>> rapidly replacing ant as the build tool of choice. So I think it's
>> fair to assume that Jelly has a long life ahead of it.
>
> I've seen some indications that Maven will be moving away from Jelly
> as the plugin language.  There have been some talks about using
> Beanshell instead.

(but it seems unlikely that the plugin language will be changed before
1.0 is released.)

there are a couple of reasons why the developer activity was empty.

1 i'd only just started working on jelly and when i regenerated the
website, i hadn't updated the jelly maven configuration to play with
ssh-agents. if you take a look again now, you'll see more accurate
figures.

2 jelly is now reasonably mature. there isn't that much development
going on.

i would like to say that i feel that developer activity can be a poor
guide as to whether to use a project or not. the developer activity is
related to the maturity of the project as well as interest. mature
projects tend to spend more time discussing changes and worrying about
the consequences of chances rather than committing code. i'd be
concerned about a project with a lot of activity since this may
indicate that a lot of develop is needed before the project can be used
in production.

personally speaking, i think that developer responsiveness is much more
important than activity: if you have a question or need some additional
feature, could you get the help you need? this can be gauged from the
mailing list.

- robert