commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@dfki.de>
Subject Re: [Jelly] feature addition for jelly-tags-http
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:16:43 GMT

On 15-Apr-04, at 23:37 Uhr, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> [...]
> i think that you should be able to use jexl (the jelly expression
> language) to populate lists

you indeed can but it typically pollutes the output (so much that I'm
thinking of making a util:mute tag soon which would /dev/nullify the
xml-output).

> but i do think that your proposed tag does make for readable jelly.
> i'd therefore be inclined to commit it so long as it was supported by
> unit tests and documentation (unless other more experienced people
> jump in with reasons why this is bad idea).

I also think it tastes good but I would see something such better in
the util taglib. If I understood correctly, this is mostly two things:
- a value-pair tag compatible with the http params (something of the
form Map.Entry, or ?)
- an "add" tag which simply invokes the method "add" to a collection
for each children.
I agree the first might be specific to http taglib... so keep it there
if you feel. The second, however, is probably even more generic than
what you expect, it doesn't need, at all, to have a collection as
operating object... (make the "add" method-name configurable).

One thing that would be nice when proposing such tags, aside of an
example as you provide, would be a kind of tag-documentation, asciied
for the list.

And, as Robert indicated, I believe this should come along with junit
tests.

thanks in advance.

paul