commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@dfki.de>
Subject Re: [Jelly] current and future status?
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:37:04 GMT

On 1-Apr-04, at 19:28 Uhr, matthew.hawthorne wrote:
> I've seen some indications that Maven will be moving away from Jelly
> as the plugin language.  There have been some talks about using
> Beanshell instead.

This can be done today... through the beanshell jelly-taglib...
removing the jelly glue could make sense but is not really useful.

Beanshell does nothing for XML generation for which Jelly does much.

Beanshell to extend Ant ? I see this oddly.

> I was poking around with Jelly and realized it
> provides the framework I need for a project I'm
> working on. However, it seemed like for at least the
> past month or so there has been little activity on it.
> Does anybody know the status of the project?

Jelly use to be mostly the work of James Strachan. He suddenly stopped.
Since then several volunteers, injected time, but too little.
Especially, there has been no more great coordinator.
I wonder wether we could find ways to create the synergy between
volunteers.
A task distribution, a roadmap or something like this is badly needed.

Jelly is a quite a great work with some great achievements. It was made
at the time maven was emerging with some things left from prehistoric
maven age...

> While we are at it, is there something out there
> similiar to Jelly?

On this I can only say I feat the answer is no. At least not with such
a board scope.

what's your particular interest in jelly ?

paul