commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] library management Was: [lang] Markup stuff on lang???
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2004 08:00:10 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> So, after Commons-1.0's release, Commons-Collection-1.0.jar would have
> been spun off and Commons-2.0 would not have contained that jar.
> Collections-1.0 may even spin off another project, primitives, functors,
> collections-weird or whatever, but they must do it by sending that code
> back to Commons-2.0, not by having it become its own new project.

With the proposed system, I'm pessimistic that even a 1.0 release would
ever happen.
The required amount of coordination between projects just seems impossible.

It it an interesting idea, but what would happen the first time that I
need something in
the commons-collections CVS HEAD?  I'm confused how the development of
individual
commons projects would coincide with the politics surrounding the
communal releases,
which basically just points back to my original statement.

A part of the problem that it seems you're trying to solve is the
infamous "too many jars".
Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I don't feel that I've ever heard a
coherent
argument as to why this is an actual problem and not just somebody's
preference.

If commons is guilty of anything, it's probably just being a little
loose with inter-project
dependencies.  The digester-collections situation which has been
discussed lately is
a perfect example where cut-and-paste would have probably been a better
solution.

How does everyone else feel?  Does commons have an actual problem with
releases
and packaging?