commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [collections] Size and scope issues
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:02:45 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Sometime, I think this is what many people looking at collections don't
> appreciate. Implementing the collection interfaces, especially the maps, can
> be really hard.

You can say that again -- I think my head is still spinning from working
on a BidiMap implementation during the pre-3.0 days.  I find that type
of low-level programming to be incredibly difficult.

Because of keySet and entrySet, Maps can require you to implement 2 or 3
anonymous inner Iterators just to create a single implementation!  And
then to figure out what to do when someone invokes Iterator.remove()...
ugh...