commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver.He...@t-online.de (Oliver Heger)
Subject [configuration]Hierarchical design
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:40:39 GMT
I have been experimenting with a more hierarchical design for
configuration classes and would like to bring in my results for
discussion. You can download a zip under
    http://www.oliver-heger.privat.t-online.de/hierarchicalconfig.zip

What I have done so far is to extract the internal Node class from
HierarchicalConfiguration. There is a new interface ConfigurationNode
and an implementation called DefaultConfigurationNode. Also the
evaluation of property keys was extracted from the configuration class.
A new component, an expression engine, is now responsible for this task.
This makes it possible to plug in different expression languages. I have
created an implementation, which can evaluate the expressions supported
by HierarchicalConfiguration so far.

The Configuration interface was extended by methods for setting and
getting such an expression engine and a root node of a hierarchical
configuration. If we deal mostly with hierarchical configuration
sources, then maybe in the future HierarchicalConfiguration should
replace BaseConfiguration as the one for all configuration base class,
but this is open to discussion.

In this approach SubsetConfiguration can not simply be implemented by
transforming property keys because interpretation of keys lies in the
responsibility of the expression engine (and I doubt that such a
transformation is always possible when complex expression languages like
XPath are involved). So I came up with the concept of view
configurations. As the name implies a view configuration provides a
logic view to another configuration or set of configurations. To keep
the view life I implemented a simple event notification system: the
views register themselves at the original configuration and thus receive
notifications whenever changes occur. A change causes a view to be
rebuilt when it is accessed the next time. As the unit tests
demonstrate, this works in both directions and also with multiple views
involved.

The zip contains all classes and some unit tests. Note that I put all
the stuff in a new hierarchy sub package, but that is only to have an
independent code base and not to mess up some other classes before the
release.

Please have a look at the code and give me some feedback. If there is
consensus that this approach should be followed, I can go ahead and
re-implement CompositeConfiguration as a view configuration in both
flavours: as overload and as union configuration. I think this would
significantly reduce code in ConfigurationFactory and would make the
planned refactorings much easier.

Regards
Oliver