commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [all] Stripping Excludes from project.xml (was Re: [all] Shared build causes issues in releases)
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:10:32 GMT
Because the 'pros' of extending the commons project.xml do not outweigh
the 'cons'.

Pros:
remove some duplication of project.xml content across subprojects

Cons:
some conent can be inherited, some cannot.
solution does not work across all subprojects which may have unique needs.

Theres too much of a release manager level maven customization required
to get the packaging right in src and build distributions. Its better to
just have each project maintain its project.xml content, then just use
basic search and replace strategies to update the contents. I'm using
them now and its alot easier than forcing each release manager into a
specific deployment strategy.

the current issue with the build tag is a strong example of how
extending shoots the projects in the foot. I'm not convinced that the
Maven folks have fully worked out the extend mechanism anyways, there
are limitations in inhertiance of POM configuration, of properties and
of maven.xml goals that just make this inhertance flimsy.

My opinion is that we should keep the customization to a minimum and try
to use the Maven defaults wherever possible. This way we can get this
over sooner and get back to developing components.

-Mark