commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [digester] @author and @version
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:10:39 GMT
matthew.hawthorne wrote:

> Simon Kitching wrote:
>
>> What benefit is there in having this info in the source?
>> I can't currently see any:
>>  * Developers can just use "cvs status".
>>  * End users just care that the file came from "version 2.1".
>>  * Maybe it is useful info when working with source snapshots,    but
>> that isn't very common.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>

> I think it's a convenience to be able to see when the last change was
> made, and who made it, in the source file -- instead of doing  'cvs
> status'.  But that's about it.

I like having the "$Id$" string somewhere at the top of each file,
because I often download the sources onto my laptop, and can't execute
"cvs status" from an airplane.

> However, with the recent craze over @author tags, maybe we shouldn't
> even be using $Id$ anymore, since it contains the committer's username.

The committer's username isn't going to be hidden even without $Id$,
because "cvs log" will show it.  But that's a totally separate thing
from what @author is/was about.

Craig