commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [all] Shared build causes issues in releases
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 13:48:44 GMT
I guess the key term here is "burden". Release managers may wish to use
Maven to cut the release and distribute source distros that
build/resolve dependencies using Maven. In such a case the issue of
shared project.xml/project.properties/maven.xml becomes more prevalent.

Its clear we have two approaches to the subject of source distros.

1.) KISS: Have build.xml that users apply to build the source tarball
they download. Its important to note here that the ant build.xml file
generated by maven here does download the dependency jars and compile
against them.

2.) Maven Integration: Have Maven manage the dependencies and provide
the build features.

It is plausible to have both. But to have (2) you need to have each
maven.xml (or a common xml include) override the "dist:*" goals that
generate the content of the source/binary distribution and have it
adjust or merge the extended commons-build.xml.

-Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center