commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [net] NT FTP Server & DIRSTYLE
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:40:38 GMT
Jeffrey D. Brekke wrote:

>Sounds like an interesting solution.  Are you thinking that we'd have
>the NT parser, on failure, delagate to the unix parser ( then of
>course if that fails, give up )?

Yes - for sure, but this is something i already suggested last week
(http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg38905.html)
but Steven doesnt liked it
(http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg38906.html)
- i dont know why.
Maybe my english isnt good enough to explain my thoughts and to convince
him.

To detach it from the unix-parser we could copy the unix-parser to an
nt-unix-parser. So if the unix-parser changes in the future, this might
not influence the nt-unix-parser.
But this isnt necassary needet. Such a failure should be come up early
enough by the unit tests.

A general fallback to the unix-parser wasnt in my mind.

I wanted to implement this behaviour only into the nt-parser - as this
is the only known ftp-server (for me) which is able to switch the dirstyle.

I thought: "If the nt-server do have such a feature, the nt-parser
should try to handle this" - and since there is not ftp-client instance
within the factory and/or parser class to issue the "dirstyle" - this
has to be done by guessing using regular expressions.
Which is also faster.
This also preserves from some roundtrips (dirstyle command) with the server.

-- Mario