commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [digester] update Rule classes using deprecated methods?
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:02:45 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> from my reading of the java specification, moving methods upwards in
> the inheritance hierarchy is backwards compatible (in binary terms).
> (hopefully someone will correct me if i've made a mistake.)

It's "recompile compatible" (i.e. it works if you recompile the calling
program against the new classes, but not "binary compatible".  I'm not
sure I would sweat it on this particular point (as long we we made
people aware of the requirement in release notes), but your second issue
is more important.

> it's possible that there are some cases of symantic incompatibility
> for user subclasses (overriding the deprecated methods that will never
> be called if the rule implementations are changed). since the methods
> have been deprecated for a long time now (digester 1.4, i think), for
> me, this isn't such an issue (as it once was) provided that it was
> strongly highlighted in the release documents.

If we were to stop calling the deprecated versions, we've definitely
changed the semantics.  It would essentially have the same semantic
effect as actually removing the methods, so I think we should continue
to call them until a 2.x series of Digester builds.

Maybe it's time to consolidate what we've learned from the 1.x versions
of both beanutils and digester into more streamlined APIs, and start
down that path?

> i would be interest to hear what other people think about this one
> (including lurking users).
>
> - robert

Craig