commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [digester] patch to keep stack of matched rules [also: Mixed Content support]
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:32:59 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 18:37, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>

>>Simon Kitching wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Here's a simple patch that I think would make digester more efficient,
>>>by avoiding unnecessary calls to rules.getMatch().
>>>

>>I like the idea in general, but would ask one favor ... could you try
>>the modified code with Tomcat and/or Struts as well?  I don't think our
>>unit tests cover some of the interdependencies -- not that this patch
>>looks like it would break anything, but I just like to make sure we're
>>not messing up two primary customer projects.
>>

>I downloaded tomcat 5.0.19, and did a search for "*digester*".
>There was only one hit: server/lib/commons-digester.jar

Cool ... thanks for doing this.

>I replaced that lib with one built with the proposed patch, and Tomcat
>ran fine.
>
>I also searched for "struts.jar", and found the "admin" webapp contained
>it and is therefore presumably a struts-based webapp. So I used the
>admin app a bit, and it also worked fine.

Good.

>One question, though: according to the RELEASE-NOTES file, only libs in
>common/lib and shared/lib are made available to webapps. But the "admin"
>webapp doesn't bundle a copy of commons-digester.jar, so I don't
>understand where it is getting its digester functionality from...

It only works when you try this on the first of April :-)

Actually, there is a perfectly logical explanation -- the Admin webapp
includes a privileged="true" attribute in its <Context> definition.
Among other things, this causes the "server" class loader (including the
commons-digester.jar from server/lib) to be the parent class loader for
the admin webapp's class loader -- thus, the digester found in
server/lib is visible to the Admin webapp.

>Regards,
>
>Simon

Craig