commons-dev mailing list archives

From Herve Quiroz <herve.qui...@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
Subject Re: [math] Graph theory
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:16:51 GMT
Paul,

That's pretty much what I was thinking of, some library to build graphs,
and then provide tools to:

- retrieve information, such as diameter
- determine if the graph is a simple graph, a multigraph, or a
  pseudograph
- find paths between nodes according to various properties and
  algorithms
- perform operations on several graphs, such as vertex/edges coloring

Personally, I am working on routing functions for my PhD. So I
implemented a simple framework quite network-oriented, that is
specifically designed in this scope. This works great with grid
topologies and such "specific" networks as the diameter is hardcoded,
and the shortest paths are easy to find out. But then, when I will
implement more "generic" topologies, I will have to implement many
algorithms as well to find out shortest paths and so.

So I'm not saying I've got something to donate (yet) to the [math]
project. Still I'm asking if something has been planned in this extend.
As I will have to implement some of the stuff I spoke of above, I could
implement it for an existing framework if you had already designed one
within the [math] project.

Looking at the other messages on this thread, I see there is an interest
for such a library. So if you need my help, please tell me.

BTW, JGraph is too much tied to the UI in my opinion, adding complexity
to the core of the library where I would have coded UI stuff as an
external library (or a wrapper).

Herve