commons-dev mailing list archives

From korebantic <koreban...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Jelly] feature addition for jelly-tags-http
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:13:47 GMT

--- Paul Libbrecht <paul@dfki.de> wrote:

> On 15-Apr-04, at 23:37 Uhr, robert burrell donkin
> wrote:
> > [...]
> > i think that you should be able to use jexl (the
> jelly expression
> > language) to populate lists
>
> you indeed can but it typically pollutes the output
> (so much that I'm
> thinking of making a util:mute tag soon which would
> /dev/nullify the
> xml-output).
Interesting. One thing that bothers me about the Jelly
output is that no matter how many trim="true"
attributes I use, I still get more whitespace then I
want. Then I end up spending to much time trying to
make the output pretty. So this tag would kill all
output? What would the interaction be with
jelly-tags-log? It would be nice to have something
configurable -- then you could either get the
behaviour Jelly gives now, or something more like a
scripting language, where you have to explicitly call
something like <echo> to get output.

> I also think it tastes good but I would see
> something such better in
> the util taglib. If I understood correctly, this is
> mostly two things:
> - a value-pair tag compatible with the http params
> (something of the
> form Map.Entry, or ?)
The parameters attribute that the jelly-tags-http
library expects is a java.util.List whose elements are
 org.apache.commons.httpclient.NameValuePair objects.

> - an "add" tag which simply invokes the method "add"
> to a collection
> for each children.
> I agree the first might be specific to http
> taglib... so keep it there
> if you feel. The second, however, is probably even
> more generic than
> what you expect, it doesn't need, at all, to have a
> collection as
> operating object... (make the "add" method-name
> configurable).
Yes, a more generic solution that provided a way to
easily manipulate data structures in the collections
framework would be cool and very useful.

> One thing that would be nice when proposing such
> tags, aside of an
> example as you provide, would be a kind of
> tag-documentation, asciied
> for the list.
Ok

> And, as Robert indicated, I believe this should come
> along with junit
> tests.
Sure thing -- Junit is a breeze. With a few junit tags
I could easily change that last script into a Junit
test script.