commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: Commons server infrastructure proposal
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:18:50 GMT

Yes absolutely.  I too started to look for such a project but could
not really find one.  I found a few components that could be used over
at Avalon but they seemed a bit to abstract so I had to implement my
own.  BTW I'm currently involved with the directory
project in the incubator where the flagship server is an LDAP server
named Eve.  This is what I wanted such a framework for.

Plus using selectable IO is critical since LDAP is a stateless protocol
and the use of a thread per connection was out of the question.  I
think we could leverage some of the code in Eve however I would rather
start from scratch again and retro fit this framework back into Eve
later.  The primary reason being: starting from scratch as a group
is easier.  There are however good examples that still can be used
but that can be done in an as needed bases if appropriate.

> > Briefly the project I meant to do can be seen as a generic server
> > side component.  It will based on NIO, and it will have plain
> > socket, SSL, and a generic channel support(Pipes and ByteBuffers),
> > so that communication doesn't necessary has to came from the wire,
> > but rather from any data source.

Then we just want it to depend on SelectableChannels to enable
IO from any medium as you suggest: socket, pipe, or buffer.

> > What's the purpose of it?  Making a generic infrastructure for a
> > wide variety of server-like applications like http/ftp/mail servers,
> > reverse proxies, load balancers, clusters, game servers, etc.
>
> > Why?  During past few years I found myself writing over and over
> > again some things that if properly designed could spare me lots of
> > time.

Me too.  Plus you never know when you have gone off the track.  It
takes some peer review to keep things clean and reusable.

> > Realy why?  Something like that doesn't exists (at least I'm not
> > aware of such a thing having BSD-like licence), and although I have
> > a large codebase finished, I'm not the smartest guy around :)

I'm not a smart guy either.  That's why I know that my implementation
must be hoky to say the least in some places.  I'd rather brainstorm
in a group to gain from the experiences of the collective.

BTW I already have a ton of questions on the matter so I can't wait to
get started.  Count me in if and when it happens.

Alex