commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: [all] Craig Mcc turned spammer? :-)
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:54:56 GMT
On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:21, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Simon Kitching wrote:
> >On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:01, craigmcc@apache.org wrote:
> >>Please have a look at the attached file.
> >

> I would be glad to if I'd actually sent it :-).  Of course, it was
> forged ...

Yeah, but it raises some interesting questions.

Was this sent to me directly, or did it go to the list?

If it went to the list, was it an accident that an address which was
already subscribed to the list was used, or are spammers/viruses now
deliberately doing that in order to avoid the "subscribers only" nature
of this list? If the latter, then we could be in trouble. I don't think
this is the case, though, as the email did not have the mime headers
such as "List-Id" which would have been done automatically by the list
server.

But if it went to me directly, then the odds of a randomly-chosen email
address being Craig's one is pretty small, so presumably some app has
tracked the email addresses of people who send emails to me, and is
deliberately choosing a "familiar" sending address when sending me the
virus. This isn't a pleasant prospect either. Or is this something that
has been going on for a while that I just haven't noticed?

I'm not in favour of the death penalty, but I could be persuaded to make
an exception here......

Regards,

Simon