commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bluewin.ch>
Subject RE: Commons server infrastructure proposal
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:56:33 GMT
Alex,

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 17:34, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Yeah this is a very sad point indeed.  Luckily I can focus on other things
> until SSL arrives and 1.5 is the standard production JDK in prominence.

With so many REALLY controversial changes to Java language long may be
our wait for 1.5 to be widely adopted. Java 1.5 requirement may be quite
a hindrance and may play against the project in the initial phase

> The
> more I think about it the more I get depressed however I would not let this
> steer us away for sticking close to NIO.  It has the standard selection
> mechanism we need.  If forced to we should be able to implement a
> SSLSocketChannel for 1.4 no?

I entertained this idea for while and finally decided against it. I
sense standard Channel classes should be using platform dependent calls
though JNI to be efficient. One can certainly simulate 'select' using
good ol' sleeping for a while/polling technique (this is what I ended up
doing). The question is why one would need NIO in the first place.
Non-blocking NIO does make things quite a bit more complex, so why
bother at all if you end up polling anyways. Out of all that mess I
brought out a strong conviction that for Java 1.4 NIO with all its
stability problems does bring too much to the table. I hope NIO will
mature by 1.5 release, however, I can hardly imagine myself using 1.5 in
the foreseeable future.

Oleg