commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: [digester] mixed content update
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2004 23:42:29 GMT
On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 08:37, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> as far as i'm concerned the major issue with a 1.6 is (and has been for
> a while) finding a release manager. craig and i have different views on
> who's eligible for this role. you might prefer craig's view's to mine
> in this case.

I plan to follow your advice. I would like to find someone on the PMC
who is willing to act as the release manager if I volunteer to do all
the donkey-work. I don't feel comfortable being the release manager
myself as I've never been involved in a jakarta project release before.
I hope that it won't be too hard to find an appropriate person.

> it might be wiser not to add mixed content support for 1.6 (i have some
> possible concerns but i'll need to go through the proposed code). there
> is no reason, though, why the release plan could not involve taking a
> 1.6 release branch. this would allow development of mixed content to
> continue whilst preparing for the 1.6 release.

I look forward to seeing your comments. Certainly if there are concerns
then we can skip this feature for the next release.

I think that the proposed "call method when params available"
functionality should be in the release if possible, though. I believe
that this is necessary for Betwixt to support the important "immutable
object", and it seems a shame to make a release that Betwixt cannot base
itself on. It does concern me that this significant feature may go in so
close to a release. I guess the decision on this depends on feedback
again. I'm nearly ready to release an implementation for review, and
have been extra-careful to build lots of unit tests for both it and
CallMethodRule (you may have seen some new unit tests committed for
CallMethodRule).

I've also been thinking of the possibility of making an official "1.6
beta-1" release, available for download by users. There are so many new
features that the user community aren't aware of, and I would like to
get their feedback/testing. Is there a standard mechanism for making
beta releases of commons code in Maven, making them available for
download from the commons website?

Regards,

Simon